Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common condition, present in 12–21% of women of reproductive age. It causes irregular/ no periods, excess body hair and weight gain. Many patients present with fertility issues and get diagnosed with PCOS as the causative agent and have successfully fallen pregnant once PCOS is addressed and managed
Two of the following three criteria are required to diagnose PCOS
- clinical (hirsutism or less commonly male pattern alopecia) or
- biochemical (raised FAI or free testosterone)
- polycystic ovaries on ultrasound
- Lifestyle modifications plays a major role in managing PCOS. Healthy diet and exercise have a major role in PCOS management, even a small amount of weight loss (5%) can help restore menstrual cycle regularity and ovulation, assist mental wellbeing, reduce the risk of diabetes in high risk groups and help prevent future cardiometabolic risk such as heart attack and stroke.
Low Carbohydrate/ ketogenic diet has been recently highlighted in assisting with PCOS
It has multiple benefits, a few being
- Improvement in body weight
- improve hormone ratio
- improve insulin resistance
Which in the end brings about hormone regulation and prevention of adverse effects caused by high insulin. Prior to getting started, please check with your health care provider that you are a suitable candidate, please get blood test for monitoring and get your medications adjusted and looked in to if needed.
From my personal experience, its wonderful to see so many of my patients benefiting with correct lifestyle intervention and are able to reverse PCOS and lead a healthy lifestyle along the way.
1. The effects of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet on the polycystic ovary syndrome: A pilot studyPublished online 2005 Dec
2. AFP reproductive health An update. Volume 41, No.10, October 2012 Pages 752-756
About the Author:
Dr Ashwini is a GP interested in Nutrition and Wellness, she thrives to help her patients achieve good health via lifestyle modifications in addition to conventional medicine where possible. This blog is her compilation of thoughts on multiple subjects close to her.
The author of this Site or Blog provides services, information, opinions, content, references and any links to other knowledge resources for information purposes only. The Author does not provide medical advice on this Site or Blog. Accessing, reading or otherwise using the Site or Blog does not create a doctor-patient relationship between you and the author. Nothing contained in this Site or Blog is intended to establish a doctor-patient relationship to replace services of your current doctor or health care professional, or otherwise to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. You hereby agree that you shall not make any medical or health related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site or Blog. You should not rely on any information contained in the Site or Blog and related materials in making medical, health related or other decisions. You should consult your doctor in all matters to your health.
If you are interested to consult or establish a doctor patient relationship with the Author, please do call 08 94149366 to book a consult.